PBS has several resources for helping children deal with scary events in the news. Learn how to calm kids’ fears, stimulate their minds, and encourage them to think about their place in today’s world. Here are a few tips:
- Find out what your child knows about the news.
- Listen to what your child tells you.
- Ask a follow-up question.
- Shield children under age eight from disturbing news.
- Avoid repeated TV viewings of the same news event.
- Monitor older children’s exposure to the news.
- Develop an ongoing dialogue with your child about what’s happening in the world.
For more resources like discussion starters, age insights, and ways to work things out through play, visit the PBS Teachers: Talking With Kids About News website.